As pest controllers, we often get calls from people who have come across snakes around their home in the past and would like a repellent recommendation to keep them away. Unfortunately, as many experts agree that most, if not all repellents are a waste of time. However, there are some simple ways you can make your property less appealing:
- Keep grass SHORT
- Remove water sources close to homes, like ponds and pet water bowls.
- Remove shelter like piles of rubbish and building materials.
- Get rid of rodents. By removing the snake’s food source, you are less likely to have up close encounters.
- Stay calm and ensure the patient remains STILL.
- Seek medical help. Call 000 immediately.
- Bandage the area immediately with a broad, firm bandage and cover as much of the surrounding area of limb as possible. (bites are usually on a limb)
- Splint the bandaged limb.
- Snake identification is not necessary in Tasmania as all our native snake bites are treated with the same anti-venom.