Warmer than average Summers coupled with a sudden Autumn chill has created the perfect breeding conditions for Rodents. The question is, can you defend your home against these pests?
Rodents damage buildings, contaminate food, spread disease and can ruin business reputations. Once you have an active infestation, it can be difficult to control without the help of a professional, however with the correct preventive techniques, your chances of being targeted by these pests are much lower.
So why are they coming into my house or business? Ultimately, like all animals, Rodents are looking for shelter, food and water. If you have continued to see or hear Rodents in your home, you need to increase your prevention method.
1. Remove their access to shelter
Any crack, gap or hole that is ¼ or larger needs to be repaired. As the first line of defence, inspect your home from foundation up and block those entry points.
- Gaps in windows and ceilings
- Cracks in walls and floors
- Cracks in foundation
- Entry holes around plumbing
2. Take away the Rodents Food Source
Rats can eat just about anything and they do not need much food to survive. To prevent future infestations be careful how you store your food and scraps.
- Store food in airtight containers and dispose of garbage regularly
- Place rubbish in secure metal bins
- Don’t leave pet food out in the open, remove any uneaten food immediately.
3. Take away their water source
Like most animals, water is a vital means to survive. Rats in particular, need lots of water and will come in and out of your home to do so.
- Cover rainwater tank openings
- Equip floor drains and pipes with metal grates held firmly in place
- Fix leaking water pipes and taps
- Reduce standing water, such as pet bowls and ponds
4. Clean up the Clutter
Rats and mice LOVE warmth, by limiting the number of places for them to hide over the Winter, you may prevent an infestation.
- Remove any building material, piles of wood or debris on the ground
- Make sure garage doors seal correctly
- Remove overgrown weeds and overhanging branches
- Clear clutter inside the home
If you have followed all these steps, the likelihood of your home experiencing an invasion this Winter will be dramatically reduced. However, in some cases, Rodents will still take shelter in your home or business despite your efforts. This can be caused by a myriad of factors, such as a veggie patch next door, or living in a rural setting. If you are experiencing an invasion, or ongoing issues with Rodents, a Scorpion technician can help by identifying the species and level of infestation, entry points and recommend the best course of treatment.